Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Superwoman Feats

Last week was brutal!  I worked more and slept less than I maybe ever have.  I gave it my all and barely survived.   That is the cost of success I suppose.  I don't mean success in that I'm rich and can quit my day job.  I just mean that when the orders are pouring in, I must be doing something right.  I love making cakeballs most of the time.  I love making something that tastes amazing, is unique, and adorable.  I love that people keep coming back for more and show so much enthusiasm for my little company. 
But the time requirements are overwhelming.  I put in 40 hours at my day job and then from Tuesday through Sunday put in an additional 36 hours of Cakeballing;  36 hours of running to my favorite store (Orson Gygi), baking,  standing on my feet for 9 hours (after working all day) to make hundreds of cakeballs, making deliveries, and working a boutique. There just wasn't enough time in my day for sleep. 
By Saturday night I had run out of fuel. Run out of sweetness.  Run out of patience.  And run out of tact. 
One of my favorite things every Christmas is my Family Blacksheep Fondue Party.  It just so happened to be this same Saturday night.  In hind sight, and suggested by my dear Aunt Jana, I could have let something go. I could have decided to not do the boutique.  But with so many Superwoman feats under my belt in the last week, I thought I could do it all.  Well I couldn't work all the hours, give up all that sleep, and still be my chipper, cheerful, and fun self at the party.  So I guess I did let something go. 
It just so happens that being my chipper happy self is the last thing I ever want to give up.  Its something that people expect from me and something I do right along with breathing.  Its who I am.
So lesson learned, I have limits.
The best part of working so hard, is that the rest that follows is that much more appreciated.  Its great to say I worked hard so it is ok that I have no idea what time it is, Im just doing the things I enjoy. I slept for eight hours.  I spent the whole rest of the day with my Twinnie. Her husband and kids were away,so it was peaceful and relaxing.  We actually read to each other. I know, how romantic, right?!  We caught up on all the juicy stuff going on in each of our lives.  We made Sunday dinner, perfect timing for her family to get back from Idaho.  We read some more.  I felt so loved and comforted after such a rough week.  As we both like to say to each other. "You always ruin my bad day!"  She made my bad day an amazing one.  So even though this past week I have never worked more or slept less, I also have never been happier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment